Homemade quark. Kohupiim
Impossible to write Estonian food blog without quark.
To be honest, I am not sure, which word is right
quark or curd or fromage blanc.
In each country you get the different product with different acidity, texture, consistent….., because of leavening, milk.
Quark is not
.. riccota. Riccota is made from cheese whey, which give the specific taste and texture
… cream cheese. Cream cheese is made from cream and has different consistent, texture, acidity and usually in cream cheese has added salt
… mascarpone. Mascarpone is not fermented product. Protein is curdled with acid.
Estonian quark is made from skimmed milk and mesophilic starter. This is fat-free and mesophilic means, that quark is fermented on the low temperature.
Homemade Quark. Kohupiim.
A fresh, light, homemade natural quark for several dishes
- 1 litre ” milk”
From 1 litre milk you receive ca 200 g quark.
What to use:
- skimmed milk + ca 150 g sour cream
- fermented milk
- yoghurt. But! Be sure, that yoghurt is not consist thickeners or stabilizers
NB! DO NOT use products with signs UHT (ultra high temperature), ESL (extended self life), aseptic, thermized… You need living bacteria and natural product.
1. You need:
hot water bath
thigh sieve and (gauze) cloth for straining
2. Pour ” milk” in to a pot, and put pot in to hot water bath. Ideal temperature is 55 C- 65 C.
3. For better result stir as little as possible, and if, then very carefully
- Quark is ready when has formed clumps and whey has separated. It takes ca 40 minute.
- Pour quark through a sieve, to separate whey
[gallery ids="1777,1776" type="rectangular"]
Soundtrack NOEP “Move”