Saarde is the region in South Estonia.
And this is a light and simple summer dish was to use meat leftovers. The most complicated part in this recipe is to grate potatoes, but other… this is easy to bake 😉
Estonian Saarde Grated Potato Scone
A light summer dinner
- 5 raw potato, grated
- 130 ml barley flour
- 1 egg
- 100 g kefir or buttermilk or sour cream
- 0,5 teaspoon soda
- salt, pepper, caraway seeds
- 125 g bacon
- Grate potato, pour into the sieve; wash with cold water and leave to drain. squeeze potato as dry as possible.
- Knead the dough and add other flour, soda, cream and whipped egg. Knead. Knead. Knead. The dough has to be like very -very soft plasticine
- Let the dough to set 10-15 minutes.
- Share dough into the 4 balls and spread by hand flat.c
- Put dough balls on to the baking paper covered baking tray ( or pour everything into a butter greased baking form). Cover with bacon and bake at 200 C for 20 minutes.
In a medium bowl, toss together 3/4 of flour, grated potato. Let set 10 minutes