A delicious and very sweet old school real food cake.
Wonderful combination and good old flavours. Light quark cream complements rich and sweet cacao layers. Sour and sweet berries give juiciest and moisture. And to get real Estonian touch and twist, use for seasoning Vana Tallinn liqueur. Vana Tallinn is a dark brown and robust Rum based liqueur developed in the 1960s. he liqueur is sweet with a hint of Jamaican rum, flavoured by various natural spices, including Citrus oil, cinnamon and vanilla .
Vana Tallinn is the Must Be souvenir from Estonia. But… if you do not have this. Of course. Add some other rum or bake it without alcohol 🙂
Red Currant and Cacao Cake
A delicious and very sweet old school real food cake
- 4 eggs
- 4 tablespoon flour
- 3 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon cacao
- 300 g cream 35%
- 300 g quark
- 300 g berries. Red currants or cherries
- for seasoning Vana Tallinn or other rum or liqueur For decoration
- 100 g berries
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C. Line a pan with paper liners. You can use round cake form or make sheets.
- In a large bowl, cream together eggs and sugar until light and fluffy. Mix the flour with the cacao, and ggently stirring, sieve flour mixture in to egg foam.
- Bake at 180 degrees C for 30 to 40 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into center of cake comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes, then remove from pans and finish cooling on a wire rack.
- Make the cream: mix together cream and quark. Season
- Using a knife, trim the tops of the cakes to make level (in case you used round pan). Place bottom layer on a plate and with an offset spatula, carefully top with 1/3 of cream. Place the second cake layer on top, spread with another 1/3 cup of the cream. Repeat with the third layer. Decorate cake with berries.