The World is strange. Estonian woman squishing snails with rainboots heels , but only few hundred kilometers to the south there’s another woman preparing an appetizing dish out of those same snails. Gardeners all over the world are cussing those pesky creatures but the Estonian woman would simply pluck the weeds and….would use the outcome to cook a delicious meal
I am not going to talk about the benefits of nettles, wood sorrel, dandelion leaves and goutweed. You can read this from Wikipedia:) But believe me, they are healthy. The first source of vitamins in spring.
Goutweed tastes like carrots and celery. Nettles are a bit sweet. Dandelion tastes like honey,. And wood sorrel is sour.
Nettles need to be kept in the boiling water 1-2 minutes. Goutweed and wood sorrel are eatable when fresh.
NB! Use only young, fresh, new, small weeds, grown in a pure and clean environment.
I added a soundrack a song that was very popular few years ago. Because of its good lines and rhymes and this nice summer feeling it creats:
seal ei ole pangaautomaati, on vaid naati palju naati
/In a village far away, there is no bank ATM, only goutweed, lots of goutweed/
saada pruuniks teiseks juuniks
/to get a tan by June 2/
Nettle and Goutweed soup
A fresh, light, spring soup from first green.
- 1/2 glass of rice or barley groats
- 2 carrots
- 1 onion
- 4-5 potatoes
- 300 g greens ( nettle, goutweed, wood sorrel, dandelion leaves, thistle)
- salt, parsley, pepper
- for serving: boiled egg and sour cream
- Cut vegetables in to the cubes
- heat in the butter carrot, onion and rice. Add boiling water
- Cook while carrot and rice are half ready, add sliced potatoes
- when potato is ready, add by hot water washed and strained weed
- Cook 5-10 minutes.
- Serve with boiled egg and sour cream