Rosolje is a traditional salad, as Estonian Potato Salad, where all families has their own recipe.
For sure it contains beetroot. And as says name ” rosol” (means (in Russian) cucumber brine,) salted/marinated/fermented cucumbers is very important, as well.
Usually we make this with salted /marinated herring. But I have eaten Rosolje without herring and with meat or without meat and fish, as well.
Rosolje second meaning in Estonian is mess, diverse, colorful. So, this is my recipe
Colorful Beetroot and Herring Salad
A fresh, light colorful salad
- 3 boiled beets ( ca 400 g)
- 2 boiled potatoes (ca 200 g). Boil unpeeled, and peel after boiling
- 2 apples
- 2 -3 pickled cucumbers
- 1 onion
- 100 g salted/marinated herring fillet
- 2 hard-boiled eggs
- 100 g canned peas
- 2,5 dl sour cream
- 2,5 dl mayonnaise
- salt, pepper, mustard, cucumber liquid
- Cut all ingredients in to the cubes and put into a bowl
- Pour in the sour cream and mayonnaise, and season, mix thoroughly
- Let stand in a cool place. Decorate