oo, I LOVE Shrove Tuesday Buns:)
I do not eat and like too many cookies and pies, but twice in the year: gingerbread and Shrove Tuesday Buns… I can eat without shame and limit 🙂
It seems easy stuff, but in Estonia, we have two parties. One camp says that Vastlakukkel must be only with whipped cream. And others are sure, that it must contain whipped cream and jam. So, the choice is yours.
Shrove Tuesday Buns
A traditional Shrove Tuesday dessert after Pea Soup and Pork legs
- 2 dl milk
- 25 g yeast
- 3 tablespoon sugar
- 1 egg
- 100 g butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon cardamom
- 6 dl flour
- 1 egg for coating buns
- All materials must be in room temperature
- Dissolve yeast with lukewarm (37C) milk and sugar
- Add about half of the quantity of flour, mixed with salt
- Beat the mixture for a short time. Sprinkle with a little flour, cover the bowl with a towel and place in a warm place to rise for a 1 hour
- Add additional flour, cardamom
- add melted butter and the beaten egg
- Knead the dough properly, until it separates from the bowl.
- Sprinkle with a little flour, cover the bowl with a towel and place in a warm place to rise for ca 1 hour until dough is doubled in size. During rising beat the dough 2 times back.
- Form the dough into rounds buns and place on the greased /baking paper covered oven plate to rise ca 15 minutes.
- Coat buns with beaten egg before putting into the oven. Bake at 200C 15 minutes.
- Let buns cool completely. Cut off a thin slice from top of buns. Whip the cream, sugar and vanilla until firm. (Add a teaspoon of cranberry or cowberry jam) and pipe the cream onto the buns and cover with a cut-off part. Decorate with icing sugar.
- Look at point 9- Round buns, let rise. Then freeze buns separately, and then put into the freezer.
- Bake buns ca 10 minutes, while there are solid. Cool quickly down, and freeze
- Freeze baked and ready buns for serving all of them: do not melt, but put frozen buns into the oven.
[caption id="attachment_8824" align="alignnone" width="1084"] Shrove Tuesday Buns. Vastlakukkel[/caption]
Important: I personally prefer one fresh bun every morning, not ten old buns today. So, how to freeze buns. There are 3 options:
Soundtrack ” Oi külad oi kõrtsid “