Baltic Herrings are Estonian national fish. We use them lot and “leftovers” are served in the different flavored marinade. This is only one recipe.
Marinated Baltic Herrings
Baltic Herrings are Estonian national fish. Marinade make this dish more festive
- ca 500 g Baltic Herrings fillet
- 1 egg
- ca 2 tablespoon flour
- salt, pepper
- 1 litre water
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 carrot, cut into slices
- 1 onion, cut into slices
- 4-5 tablespoon 30% food vinegar
- pepper, spice, laurel
- Mix herrings in salt and pepper
- Dip into the beaten egg and roll in flour
- Fry the fillets on both sides in hot pan
- Cool fish down.
- Boil carrot and onion half- ready
- Add spices and allow the water to boil once more. Add the vinegar and remove from the heat.
- Cool down
- Pour the cooled marinad over the cooled fish. Let to stand and season. Keep in the fridge
Serve with boiled potatos and sour-cream-sauce or eat as appetiser or cold snack with bread.
Soundtrack Vaiko Eplik Soorebased