This is the best Beet Salad.
Layered Salad from beet and herring needs transparent bowl for serving. “Kasukas” mean in estonian “fur coat”, and name probably came from meaning that fur coat, covers you as layer .
The layered beetroot and herring salad originates from East Slavic cuisine. During Soviet times, this salad, with its special sauce made of sour cream, mayonnaise and mustard, was prepared for celebrations along with potato salad and the Russian beet and potato salad.
Beetroot has been used in Estonian cuisine already since the 17th–18th century. A lot of beetroot dishes have reached us through Slavic cuisine, so dishes like Russian beetroot and potato salad, Borscht and cold beetroot soups were known already in the Baltic German cuisine. From then on, beetroot dishes were included among the foods of the pre-war Republic of Estonia.
Layered Salad. Kasukas.
Layered Salad from beet and herring.
- ca 100 g marinated or salted herring
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 big marinated or salted cucumber
- 2 boiled potatoes. Peel after boiling. Chop in to cubes
- 1 boiled egg
- 100 g boiled, grated beet
- 3 tablespoon mayonnaise season with marinated cucumber liquid, salt, pepper, mustard.
For dressing – 1 tablespoon sour cream
Dressing must be fluid. Do not look at my picture, this is made specially for photo thicker. Dressing must be flow.
- Bottom layer is herring
- add chopped onion and cucumber.
- add some dressing
- next layer is potato
- and then beet
- Pour over with dressing and add egg
- Let salad before serving stay for seasoning.
[gallery ids="1229,1230,1231" type="rectangular"]
Soundtrack Laura “Lihtsad asjad”