Kvass is a fermented beverage, which is made is made from fermented black or rye bread, spring water, and herbs. During the Soviet Union, kvass was nicknamed “The Communist Coca-Cola” (because of colour). In those times we could freely buy Pepsi, but not Coca-Cola.
In my childhood almost every street corner boasts the ubiquitous yellow kvass tanks, which dispense the thirst quencher throughout the day. At that time, we did not know anything about hygiene… This time was used glass drinking glasses ( no plastic!), and after each drinker, the glass was simply flushed with cold water..:) (those were just the times! And no one had a Covid19…)
But kvass was very delicious. And the most important. This is very easy to make it by your self.
Look how to do rye bread by yourself
Bread leftovers use for rye bread pudding.
Home Made Rye Bread Kvass. Leivakali
A Kvass is a fermented beverage, which is made is made from fermented black or rye bread, spring water, and herbs.
- 2 litre water
- 400 g fermented rye bread
- 100 g honey ( or less if you do not like very sweet)
- 10 g yeast
- (mint or black currant stalks or leaves)
- Bring water to the boil and pour over dried and roasted rye bread
- Let set under lid few hours.
- Strain and add honey, yeast ( and peppermint stalks)
- Let the mixture ferment for 5-6 hours.
- Strain the mixture into the towel-covered sieve and drain properly. And pour into bottles. Close the cap
- Keep refrigerated and drink after 2-3 days.