So, You baked black bread and probably have some leftovers. This is the easiest dessert in the world.
NB! of course, if you have very salty bread with caraway seeds, this is not dessert to you. Then make better Garlic Breads.
Already medieval cookbooks included recommendations to use toasted and grated black bread to make desserts. Baltic German cooks made black bread pudding with apples or chocolate and wine, rum or cognac. During the inter-war period, Estonian housewives took to making various desserts out of black bread, e.g. a chocolate pudding with black bread. In Soviet times, bread soup was often served in cafeterias, but people made it at home as well.
Black Bread Dessert. Leivasupp
A light and easy dessert from black bread
- 300 g ( 8 slices) black bread
- 1 litre water + juice
- (100 g raisins or other dried fruits)
- If you going to use dried fruits, let them swell at least 1 hour. Steep water include in showed 1 litre
- You get better taste, if you use hardened bread. So toast or roast it, and for better consistent you can bread grated, as well
- Cook on the low heat. Beware, splashes !!
- Taste. Usually bread is sweet enough, but if you like add some sugar, cinnamon or brandy
- Cook, while bread is softened and water is reduced – you should have thick sour cream content
- Cool down. And serve with cold milk, whipped cream or sour cream
Soundtrack Arvo Pärt “Ukuaru valss”