Do you know old story about Axe Soup?
Long long time ago. Poor Soldier came from War.
He was tired and hungry.
Knocked on the door and asked for food. The hostess was stingy and said that she is poor herself and have not any food.
Ok, said Soldier. But do you have an axe? Lets cook an ax soup, then.
This sounded interesting, the hostess heard for the first time about ax soup and agreed.
Soldier put cattle on the stove and added water and an ax. Let it simmer, tasted and said: it is too strong. To make this lighter, we have to add something. Do you have some meat?
Yes, agreed hostess and went to the pantry for meat. During this time soldier hid an ax and changed water.
Hostess brought meat, soldier added this in to the cattle. Let simmer, tasted and asked. This is still too strong. You have very strong ax,.. To make this lighter, please bring some barley…
then they added some vegetable to make soup ” lighter”.
Finally was soup ready. Look, said Soldier: we cooked this so long, that ax is just dissolved!
Hostess tasted soup and was amazed: so delicious, who might have known that ax is so delicious!
This is story about envy, greed and deceit. And how to cook something about nothing 🙂
Now you probably already know, that I prefer dishes which take time max 30 minutes. And this soup is the same. You can cook it in a decent manner: prepare stock and use meat and spend hours to have perfect dish.
But at the afternoon, you have not time. And this is the simplest version to prepare soup. In my opinion cabbage suits with sausages. But you can cook vegan version, or use minced meat or bacon or…. whatever you like.
- per eater
- 1 potato
- 1/2 carrot
- 1/2 onion
- ca 100 g cabbage
- 1 tablespoon butter
- meat “leftovers”, use what do you have at home. Ham, sausage, meat,…
- salt, pepper, bay leaf
- Turn on the kettle.
- Peel and chop onions and carrots. Because this soup contains cabbage, it would be nice to cut all ingredients into strips.
- Melt in pot butter and add carrots and onion.
- Add boiling water
- Add salt, pepper, bay leaf. Remove foam.
- Cut potato and cabbage into strips.
- Test carrot, it should be half-ready. Add potato
- Cut meat into stripes.
- Test potato, it should be half- ready. Add cabbage and meat
- Let boil while cabbage is ready and turn off the stove. Season. Serve 🙂