Sweet and sour braised turnips can be served as a side dish with some meat or main dish.
I do not know. Does it is international that children just do not like some food? Like blue cheese and olives? ( or children who grow up in the Mediterranean are fond of olives??)
When I was a child I hated braised and boiled carrots and turnips. And, blue cheese and olives, of course 🙂
Now I am grown up and I can say that there is nothing better than braised turnips.
Sweet of turnips are balanced with cranberry acid. And this is the perfect side dish. This time I served it with grilled cheese.
Braised turnips with cranberry sauce. Stoovitud kaalikad jõhvikakastmega
A fresh, light, vegetable recipe as perfect dinner or side dish.
- 0,5 kg turnips
- 1 dl 35% cream
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- some acid. White wine, lemon juice or vinegar
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 1 teaspoon honey
- salt, pepper
Serve with cranberry or rhubarb sauce. Look at for a recipe
- Peel turnip. Cut into cubes and cook until it is soft.
- Pour most of the water off. Add butter and lemon juice. Let stew for a few minutes
- Mix together cream and flour. Pour into turnips
- Season with mustard, honey, salt and pepper. Let stew for 15 minutes until sauce is creamy.
- Serve as the main dish or as a side dish with some meat or grilled cheese. Cranberry sauce will be complements sweetness of braised turnips as well.