Nettles are very important and has been used in Estonian folk medicine centuries.
Folk wisdom teaches that nettle contains vitamins C and K, B vitamins, as well as minerals like calcium, magnesium and iron, to name a few
The nettle takes away fatigue, abdominal pain and water swelling, reduces and stops bleeding, reduces the appearance of diabetes mellitus
And did you know: nettles contain vitamin C 2.5 times more than the lemon (660 mg%).
But of course, you can use any weed to replace nettles. Goutweed taste like carrots and celery. Nettles are a little bit sweet. And wood sorrel is sour.
Nettles keep 1-2 minutes in the boiling water. Goutweed and wood sorrel are edible fresh.
NB! Use only young, fresh, new, small weed, growing in the pure environment.
Nettle Potato Fritters. Nõgese kartuli kotletid
A fresh, light vegetable dish
- a couple of handfuls of nettles
- 6 boiled potato
- 1 onion
- 2 eggs
- salt, pepper
- Pour fresh nettles over with boiling water, pour into a sieve and cool down using cold water
- drain and chop.
- grate potatoes, chop an onion into small cubes
- mix together potatoes, nettles, onion and eggs. Season
- form the dough into flat fritters and dip them into the flour
- Fry in average heat pan until the fritters are browned