Ühepajatoit means in Estonian ” food, which is made in a one cauldron”
The most important, Do not boil, but stew. The best Ühepajatoit has little bit mushy consistency
Estonian Hotpot. Ühepajatoit
A light, rich of vegetables Ühepajatoit for a dinner.
- ca 600 g meat. I prefer pork sirloin
- 4 carrots
- 1 onion
- 4 potatoes
- half of small cabbage
- (peas, beens, tomato….)
- salt, pepper, oil
- 1. Heat up oil and put in to the hot oil meat, sliced in to the cubes. Fry for a short time, until the pieces are lightly browned
- Add carrots and onion, blanch.
- Add ca 1/2 cup of hot water. Let braise, do not boil!
- Cut cabbage and potatoes in to the slices. When carrots are semi-soft, add cabbage and potatoes and more hot water. Do not boil!
- Stew until soft. Season with salt, pepper.
Soundtrack. This is the one of my favourite song Tõnis Mägi “Püha Elmo tuled”