Paskha (also spelled pascha, or pasha; Russian: па́сха; [ˈpasxə]; “Easter”) is a festive dish made in Eastern Orthodox countries.
Estonian religious population is predominantly Christian. In 1845–1848, the movement from the Lutheran Church to the Russian Orthodox Church took place in all the southern Estonian counties and about 17% of the peasants in southern Estonia converted to Orthodoxy. Until then, Orthodoxy was mainly the religion of the local Russians and Seto (Setu) people.
Reason to change religion was hope to get land and better conditions.
So, lot of Russian Orthodox Church rituals and dish are still popular. I am personally do not like pasha. But pasha- inspired cake is very delicious.
Easter Pasha Cake. Pashakook
A fresh, light Pasha- inspired cake for Easter
- Cake bottom ( total you need approx 250 ml )
- 50 g butter
- 50 g sugar
- 100 g roasted and grated rye bread
- 100 ml whole grain oatmeal flakes
- 3 tablespoon cacao
- 4 eggs
- 100 g dried fruits: apricots, cranberries, raisins..
- 2 tablespoon Old Tallinn liqueur
- 100 g butter
- 400 g quark
- 4 tablespoon flour
- Put the dried fruits in liqueur for half an hour
- Roast bread ,Grate bread.
- Melt butter, add sugar and grated bread, flakes . Add cacao. mix and let roast
- press mixture onto bottom of 20 cm greased springform pan
- beat sugar and soft butter. Add one at a time egg yolks mixing on a low-speed after each just until blended. Sift flour and add quark very carefully stirring and fruits to the egg butter mixture.
- Beat egg whites into a firm foam and add gradually while stirring.
- Pour into cake bottom.
- Bake at 200 C for 30-40 minutes until center is almost set.
5 thoughts on “Easter Paskha Cake. Pashakook”
Oh, I love pasha but have never ‘met’ the cake form ! I remember being a little girl and admiring Mom’s pyramidal plywood pasha mould with a big cross on one side. The pasha was so pretty when turned out for Easter with a big red flower stuck onto the top 🙂 ! Most of us here still make it for the season and coffee guests at the time ! Must try your cake form . . .
LikeLiked by 1 person
Thank you for sharing 🙂 Have a nice Easter!
Beautiful cake! Happy Easter. 🙂
Thank you! Happy easter! 🙂
LikeLiked by 1 person