Do you know this fairy tale. About girl, who must, to rescue her brothers, knit a jacket from.. nettles..?
This is a good story about love.
But to exterminate and consume all weed in your garden….. You do not need so extreme solutions 🙂
Just, bake a pie. From weed. Delicious and weeding in the garden gets some very good point 🙂
Rich, savory custard flecked with things like quark and fresh weed baked in a buttery crust,
I do not write how healthy are nettles, wood sorrel, dandelion leaves and goutweed. You can read this from Wikipedia:) But believe me, they are healthy. The first vitamins source in the spring.
Goutweed taste like carrots and celery. Nettles are little bit sweet. And wood sorrel is sour.
Nettles keep 1-2 minutes in the boiling water. Goutweed and wood sorrel are edible fresh.
NB! Use only young, fresh, new, small weed, growing in the pure environment.
Weed Pie. Umbrohupirukas
A spring pie from weed
– 0,5 litre buttermilk or kefir
– 6-7 glass of (wheat/barley/rye) flour
– 1/2 teaspoon soda
– 1 teaspoon salt
– 50 g butter or oil
– 0,5 litre of weed nettles, wood sorrel, dandelion leaves and/or goutweed.
– 400 g quark. Look at for homemade quark recipe
– salt, pepper
– caraway seeds
– 1-2 eggs
- Be sure that all ingredients are at lukewarm temperature.
- In a medium bowl, toss together 3/4 of flour and other ingredients. Let set 20 minutes
- Knead the dough and add other flour. Knead. Knead. Knead. Dough has to be like very very soft plasticine, but rollable
- Let dough set 10-15 minutes.
- Keep weed 1-2 minutes in the boiling water.
- Mix quark with eggs, NB! leave some egg for spreading.
- Season quark mix with salt, pepper and seeds
- Share dough 2/3 and 1/3. The bigger part of dough roll for pie bottom.
- Put dough between two baking paper and roll paper-thin. Press pie pastry, using paper, into a 20 cm deep-dish pie pan.
- Pour filling into prepared pie pastry. Leave ca 1 cm from edges empty. Cover filling by remaining dough and squeeze the edges of the stick.
- Spread with egg and spread over with caraway seeds
- bake at 175C convection for 30-40 minutes.
Did you make this recipe?
I appreciate you so much!