For some reason we have three different foods: meat balls, served usually in sauce. Small meat balls: frikadellid, we are using in soup. And ” kotlet”- what is flat shape minced meat “ball”. Kotlet is served as main dish with potato and sauce and salad.
Estonian Meat Balls. Kotletid
Estonian type flat shape minced meat Kotlet, is served as main dish.
- 600 g minced meat, best is 50% pork and 50% beef
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 choped onion
- 1 egg
- 100 ml cold water
- 100 ml bread crumbs or slice of bread
- salt, pepper – for coating grated black bread
- Preheat oven
- In a medium bowl, pour cold water over the bread (crumbs)
- chop garlic and onion very finely
- Add to swollen bread onion, meat and egg
- Mix carefully and season with salt, pepper. Mixture must be little bit ” too salty”
- Form the meat mixture into loaves using spoon
- Dip the Kotlet into the coating (grated black bread) all sides
- Preheat oven. Line baking sheet with baking paper. And bake Kotlet at 200 c for 20 minutes
6 thoughts on “Estonian Meat Balls.Kotlet”
Ooooh ajasid isu peale nüüd 🙂
I make meatballs similarly, a delicious combination for any sauce 🙂
Yes it is 🙂 thank you for comment!
LikeLiked by 1 person
What kind of sauce do you put on them?
This is a very good question ( about Estonians and sauces 🙂 ). Typical estonian using for sauce just sour cream.
Mixing sour cream with salt and pepper and some herbs and cold sauce is ready 🙂
But “advanced ” families making regular hot sauce ( stock, cream, butter and flour) , of course… 🙂 ( but it takes time and it is complicated…, so…….)