This is real and very Estonian cake. And what is important: this is not baked cake. And what is more important; this is weight watchers cake 🙂 Quark and yoghurt have low-fat but full of protein. Fermented rye bread contains B group vitamins and good probiotic bacteria. And cowberries are a source of vitamins and antioxidants.
And forget this previous story:)
Prepare this because of taste and flavour not benefit 🙂
Quark and rye bread and cowberries give Estonian flavour. Wonderful combination of sour and sweet soft and crispy.
Did you know:
There has been a long debate over who erected the first Christmas tree, Tallinn or Riga. We’re not going to take sides, but some historical sources report that in 1441, the Brotherhood of Blackheads brought trees into their guild houses for the holidays in Reval (Tallinn). On the last night of holiday celebrations, the tree was taken to the Town Hall Square. This tradition still continues today in Tallinn’s Town Hall Square. If you’re looking to get your own tree this holiday, download the RMK mobile app, which shows you where you can cut your own tree from the state forests. Afterwards, you’re asked to pay a small fee, by internet bank transfer of course, and voilà, the tree is yours!
Cowberry and Rye Bread Cake. Rukkileiva ja pohlakook
A light and easy no baking Estonian-inspired cake.
- 100 g rye bread. Look at for recipe
- 50 g butter
- 50 g nuts, mashed
- 3 tablespoon cacao or 80 g dark chocolate
- ( 30 g brown sugar)
- 300 g quark. Look at for recipe
- 300 g yoghurt or cream
- 4 teaspoon gelatine
- 4 tablespoon cowberry jam or berries. Look at for recipe
- (brown sugar)
- Puddle bread and fry in a pan with butter for a short time until bread is crispy. Add some sugar and cacao or melted chocolate. Add mashed nuts and mix together.
- Cover cake form with food film. Press mixture into the bottom of one 20 cm springform pan. Press it down so it is level and compact with the back of a large spoon then put the tin in the fridge for a good 30 mins to firm up.
- Prepare gelatine.
- For the topping: mix together quark and cream, season. Add prepared gelatine.
- Take the tin containing the base from the fridge and tip the creamy mixture over the top of it.
- Mix very carefully and gently cowberry jam in.
- Place in the fridge for an hour or two to set.