t’s impossible to write a blog about Estonian food without talking about quark. To be honest, I’m not quite sure whether should I say ”quark”, ”curd” or ”fromage blanc”.
The quark in every country has a different acidity, texture and consistency due to the processing of the product.
Quark is not
.. riccota. ricotta. Ricotta is made from whey, which gives the cheese its specific taste and texture.
… cream cheese. Cream cheese is usually a salty soft product made from cream and milk. It has a different consistency, texture and acidity. Usually in cream cheese has added salt
… mascarpone. Mascarpone is not fermented product. Protein is curdled with acid.
Estonian quark is fat-free, made from skimmed milk and mesophilic starter. The latter means that the quark is fermented at a low temperature.
If you have children, don’t hesitate to ask them to join the process. Making quark is fun and educating. You can learn a lot about food chemistry, cooking, health and fermentation!
Homemade Quark. Kohupiim.
A fresh, light, homemade natural quark for several dishes
- 1 litre ” milk” From 1 litre milk you receive ca 200 g quark.
- skimmed milk + ca 150 g sour cream
- fermented milk
- yoghurt. But! Be sure, that yoghurt is not consist thickeners or stabilizers
What to use:
NB! DO NOT use products with signs UHT (ultra high temperature), ESL (extended self life), aseptic, thermized… You need living bacteria and natural product.
- 1. You need:
hot water bath
thigh sieve and (gauze) cloth for straining
- For better result stir as little as possible, and if, then very carefully
- Quark is ready when has formed clumps and whey has separated. It takes ca 40 minute.
- Pour quark through a sieve, to separate whey
[caption id="attachment_8821" align="alignnone" width="1024"] Estonian Quark. Kohupiim[/caption]
2. Pour ” milk” in to a pot, and put pot in to hot water bath. Ideal temperature is 55 C- 65 C. Water bath is not necessary. And if you want result quicker (for example you making lesson for kids:)), do not use water bath but make quark directly on the stove and use higher temperature. Higher temperature gives you less curd, but you get this quicker.
Soundtrack NOEP “Move”