Sour and sweet weed soup with onions and balanced with rye bread.
The recipe is basing on classical onion soup recipe.
Nettles are very important and has been used in Estonian folk medicine centuries.
Folk wisdom teaches that nettle contains vitamins C and K, B vitamins, as well as minerals like calcium, magnesium and iron, to name a few
The nettle takes away fatigue, abdominal pain and water swelling, reduces and stops bleeding, reduces the appearance of diabetes mellitus
And did you know: nettles contain vitamin C 2.5 times more than the lemon (660 mg%).
But of course, you can use any weed to replace nettles. Goutweed taste like carrots and celery. Nettles are a little bit sweet. And wood sorrel is sour.
Nettles keep 1-2 minutes in the boiling water. Goutweed and wood sorrel are edible fresh.
NB! Use only young, fresh, new, small weed, growing in the pure environment.
Nettle Soup. Nõgesesupp
A fresh, light vegetable dish
- a couple of handfuls of nettles (200 g)
- 2 onion
- 50 g butter
- 1 tablespoon (brown) sugar
- salt, pepper
- 3 tablespoon flour
- 1,3-litre broth
- 250 ml white wine
- chopped dill or parsley
- 3 boiled eggs
- 4 slices of rye bread
- Pour fresh nettles over with boiling water, pour into a sieve and cool down using cold water
- put butter in the pan, Add the onions and fry with the lid on for 10 mins until soft. Sprinkle in the sugar and cook for 20 mins more, stirring frequently, until caramelised.
- add flour and brown.
- add nettles. Increase the heat and keep stirring as you gradually add the wine, followed by the hot stock. Cover and simmer for 15-20 mins.
- serve with boiled eggs and grilled rye bread