Estonia’s territories include a group of 2,222 islands and islets in the Baltic Sea.
The island of Vilsandi, Saaremaa Parish, Saare County, Estonia is located in the Baltic Sea. It covers an area of some 9 square km and is the westernmost populated island in Estonia.
Vilsandi is the oldest nature protection area in the Baltics, created in 1910, and reorganised as the Vilsandi National Park in 1993. There are over a hundred islands with lots of birds at the Vilsandi… …
You will find calmest place on earth. In Estonia you can feel, how is to be last soul in the Earth 🙂 You can drive through the Estonian countryside and not see another living soul for miles.
My family is from South Estonia, but 15 years ago my parents moved to Saaremaa.
How to get Vilsandi
- find a timetable and pre-book Your ferry e-ticket online on TS Laevad homepage http://www.praamid.ee. Your first destination is Kuivastu.
- To get to Vilsandi, you must first get to Saaremaa island. From Kuressaare, the capital of Saaremaa, go to the borough of Kihelkonna on the West coast. Find boat “Marta”, it takes you to Vilsandi. You can make a reservation on a regular trip or order a private trip.
- Practically all Estonians speak or at least understand English. Generation +40 speak and understand Russian. Because of the similarity of languages Estonians are able to understand Finnish. Children learn German, French and some Swedish or Chinese at school
- almost everywhere you can pay with a card. ATM -s are in bigger places and petrol stations.
- and yes, this is not fairy tale. almost everywhere in Estonia is Wifi
Best Souvenirs to buy from Estonia
- Kalev chocolate, liqueur Old Tallinn/Vana Tallinn, Balbiino ice cream and Tallinna spiced sprats (Tallinna vürtsikilu)
- Handicrafts made of linen, wool, wood, juniper or limestone. Haapsalu scarf.
(NB! In Tallinn Viru Street you can find a lot of amber and Matrjoschka. Amber is from Lithuania and Matrjoschka from Russia. Both countries are beautiful and with rich culture and interesting history. I suggest to visit Lithuania and Russia :))
- for children, everything about and with Lotte.
Estonian Food you Must to Try
- visit Estonian supermarkets and buy some Estonian dairy products: kohuke, kodujuust (cottage cheese), hapukoor (sour cream). Buy Kama and rye bread, handicraft beer
- In restaurants ask for quark cake, soups with dumplings, meat balls or cabbage. Semolina cream, quark cream or bread cream. Local lake fish. Drink kefir, kvass or local beer. Värska mineral water. And Estonian tap water and forest spring water are clean, pure and drinkable.
- check and google timetable for Viljandi Folk, Pärnu Weekend, Jazzkaar, PÖFF or Laulupidu and Saaremaa Opera Days.
- In Vilsandi. On eof the most populaar estonian singer Jaan Tätte living in Vilsandi.
- buy movie about Estonian history: ” Nimed marmortahvlil”, ” Tants aurukatla ümber”, ” “Tuulepealne maa”. Or ” Malev”, this is comedy and pseudo history, but very good summary about Estonians.
- Music: Pärt ja Tüür. Tõnis Mägi, The Sun; Metsatöll and TradAttack. And read my blog posts. I gave a lot of links for good Estonian music.