One traditional Estonian St Catherines Day dish is chicken filled with sauerkraut. This is little bit more modern version.
We have not so big families anymore to eat whole chicken 🙂 So little bit revised version.
For this dish you need sauerkraut. Look for recipe, how to make sauerkraut by yourself.
Chicken for St Catherine’s Day. Kadripäevakana
A light dinner.
- ca 500 g chicken fillet (1 fillet per eater)
- 100 g cream cheese flavoured with horseradish
- ca 200 g boiled sauerkraut – pepper, oil, cranberries
- The most complicated part of this dish: you have to get from chicken fillet the one “sheet”, connect and combine all hammered fillets into one” sheet”.
- Cut in to the fillet horizontal slit, and turn fillet open as ” butterfly”. Put chicken fillet in to the plastic bag and hammer very carefully while you get “sheet”. Hammer all edges thicker and combine all hammered fillets into one big sheet.
- spread a cream cheese to the connected and combined chicken fillet, and put in the middle of the sheet sauerkraut, cranberries and season with pepper (and salt).
- Turn shorter edges back and roll fillet. Tie yarn over the roll.
- Preheat oven.
- In pan heat the oil and fry the roll in medium flame till it become golden brown.
- Turn roll in to the folio and bake in the oven for 20 minute at 180 C.
- For serving remove yarn and cut slices.