A great vegetable dinner with Estonian twist. Sweet pumpkin flavour is combined with pleasantly grainy barley groats. It is very easy and quick dinner from only 3 ingredients.
Cooking and preparing barley takes a lot of time, so it would be perfect dinner from leftovers. To add more flavours you can add some cheese or caraway seeds.
Barley Groat and Pumpkin Fritters. Kruubi ja kõrvitsakotletid
A light vegetable dinner with Estonian twist.
- 1 glass barley groats
- 200 g pumpkin
- 1 egg
- bread crumbs
- 50 g butter or oil
- salt, pepper, caraway seeds
- Put barley to soak the night before. The following day put into cold water and let it boil, removing foam. Simmer at a low heat for about 20-30 minutes, until soft.
- Peel and grate pumpkin. If pumpkin is very juicy, let set or add some flour/starch
- Mix together cold barley and pumpkin. Add egg and season.
- Form balls, dip into the bread crumbs. Fry in hot pan until fritters are browned.
- Serve with sour cream and salad.