I love small pies. In English, you call them hand pies. My mother signature recipe is small pies with meat filling. But today I will introduce recipe by Maie, pies with juicy carrot filling.
Carrot Pies by Maie. Maie porgandipirukad
A light, juicy carrot pies
- 25 g yeast
- 1 glass water at room temperature
- 3 teaspoon sugar
- 200 g cold butter
- 3 glass sifted flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 500 g boiled carrots
- 100 g boiled rice
- 1 boiled egg
- 50 g melted butter
- salt, pepper and nutmeg
- for coating 1 egg
- In a medium bowl dissolve yeast with sugar and water, and let set
- In a second bowl chop cold butter with flour and salt a 1 cm x 1 cm cubes, add gradually 1 whipped egg.
- Add the yeast-mix gradually and chop, chop, chop…
- ready pastry put into the plastic bag and keep in the refrigerator for 1 hour till 24 hours
- Grate carrots, mix with rice and chopped egg. Season. The filling should be a little bit too salty.
- Form small pies. Unroll pie dough on floured work surface. With a glass ( I use for cutting usual glass) or round cutter, cut rounds from dough. Spoon 2 teaspoons mixture on half of each dough round. Fold untopped half of round over filling; press edges to seal.
- Coat pies with the beaten egg before putting into the oven.
- Bake at 225 C for 12 minutes, while pies are ready.
Did you make this recipe?
I appreciate you so much!