This soup from Võru Cuisine. And perfect dish to use first green weed. Smoked ham adds flavours. Author of this recipe is Leelo Laurits. I just little bit adapted this recipe.
Goutweed tastes like carrots and celery. Nettles are a bit sweet. Dandelion tastes like honey but could be a little bit bitter. To decrease the bitterness, leave leaves into the cold salty water to set. And wood sorrel is sour.
Nettles need to be kept in the boiling water 1-2 minutes. Goutweed and wood sorrel are eatable when fresh.
NB! Use only young, fresh, new, small weeds, grown in a pure and clean environment.
Early Spring Hay Soup. Heinasupp
A light and delicious Estonian-inspired soup recipe perfect for a early spring dinner.
- 200 g prepared barley pearl groats
- 100 g smoked bones
- 2 boiled eggs
- fresh weed
- Madeira or white vine
- salt, pepper, sour cream for serving
- If you do not have prepared barley groats, prepare groats: put barley to soak the night before.
- Put the meat into (1 litre) water and let it boil, removing foam.
- Add the barley. Season with salt and pepper.
- Until soap is cooking, go out and pick some fresh weed. Boil eggs.
- Add the weed into soup, season with a vine. Let simmer until barley is soft.
- Serve with boiled eggs and sour cream.