I have been studying many dictionaries to find out which is the right translation: cowberries or lingonberry. And still I do not know right answer.
These berries, Vaccinium vitis-idaea, grow in pine forest, They want and like sunny and dry place. Usually there are some wild blueberries and lactarius rufus are in neighbours.
anyway, no difference what name these berries has. Important is that cowberries are delicious, healthy and suits practically in every savoury dish and in sweet cakes.
This casserole is a nice everyday dish. Mayonnaise gives creamy consistent. Cowberries gives little tart touch and complements meat and potato.
Cowberry and Potato Casserole
A creamy, sweet and sour dinner full of berries
- 300 g pork. I prefer sirloin
- 4 onions
- 4 potatoes
- 200 ml cowberries
- 1 tablespoon brow sugar
- salt, pepper, oil
- Cut the meat to stripes and fry in oil hot pan until slices are slightly browned. Season. Pour the meat in to the bottom of the baking dish
- Put some oil in the pan, add peeled and chopped onion and fry slightly, add some water, if necessary. Add sugar, stir and pour everything on top of the meat
- (put some oil in the pan) add peeled and sliced potatoes , fry slightly and add some hot water. Season. Cook while potato is half ready. 4. pour cowberries on top of onion, add potatoes. Add some hot water in to pan, rinse and pour this in to the casserole.
- Add mayonnaise to cover everything.
- Bake at 180 C for 20-30 minutes, while potato is soft.
I have done this dinner from raw ingredients (potato, meat and onion). It is possible, if you have more time, because it takes ca 1 hour. To save time I prefer to use leftovers and already baked/ cooked ingredients