Like I wrote last year, the most important custom on Shrove Tuesday (Vastlapäev) is sledding.
You can understand why this activity is important by just looking at the ingredients of the Shrove Tuesday’s pea-soup: beans, sauerkraut, barley…
Foods that give you lots of energy to burn.
You can cook this soup the traditional way: swell beans and barley overnight. Prepare beautiful and delicious broth, and cook up to 2 hours.
But I recommend the easier and faster ”everyday version”:
All ingredients can be prepared, canned or frozen…If you want, you can add some smoked meat, ham or broth just to give it a bit stronger taste.
Shrove Tuesday Soup
A nutritious Shrove Tuesday Soup.
- (broth from 1 kg of pork)
- 0,5 litre boiled/stewed Sauerkraut.
- 100 g prepared or canned beans
- 1 dl prepared, pre-cooked barley groats
- 100 g dried plums
- 1 onion
- 1 glove garlic
- 50 g butter
- salt, pepper, bay leaf, mustard. If cabbage has not enough acid, add some vinegar or lemon/cranberry juice
- Melt butter, and add chopped onion, garlic and prepared barley. Mix and add boiling water (or /and broth)
- Cook until barley is soft
- Add plums, prepared beans, sauerkraut. Let simmer and flavours blend together.
- Season finally