Simple and delicious everyday dish. Gin and juniper berries enhance and boosting chicken and mushroom sweet flavour. Juniper berries impart a sharp, clear flavour.
NB! For cooking use only the mature, dark berries
Juniper berries contain essential oils, sugars, resins, colourants, fatty acids, organic acids, carbohydrates and trace elements (Manganese, Iron, Copper and Aluminum). Juniper berries have anti-inflammatory and anti-microbial effects during colds. Berries also stimulate urine and saphenia and promote digestion.
It is also believed that juniper cleans and strengthens one’s body energetically. For humans, it has the best effect by breathing in, but it can also affect objects around that person. Juniper branches burnt in the house may clean up the bad aura.
More than 400 spices of mushroom grow in Estonia and almost 100 of them are edible. And proximate 25 of them are very good edible mushroom.
I know and foraging for food more than 10 spices.
How to remove additional salt are a lot of tips.
My South Estonian relatives told me that they boiling salted mushroom in milk. And after that no saltness and mushroom look and taste like a fresh.
The second option is to boil mushroom just in the water.
And the simplest one. Put mushroom to soak the night before.
Fresh chanterelle: The mushrooms are cleaned without water, with only a clean, dry towel and paring knife. Heat the chanterelle in a skillet without fat/butter until water has evaporated.
Frozen mushroom: melt, fry slightly.
Chicken fillet with juniper berries and mushroom. Kanafilee kadaka ja seentega
- 600 g chicken fillet
- 0,5 to a 1-litre mushroom that does not need blanching
- 6 dl cream 35%
- 3 tablespoon gin
- juniper berries, thyme, dill, chives
- salt, pepper
- Fry dried and seasoned meat in a very hot pan for a short time until the fillets are browned. Preheat oven and leave fillets in the oven under foil at 200 C for 10-15 minutes
- For sauce. Heat the mushrooms in a skillet until water has evaporated. Add oil, juniper berries and chopped onions. Add gin and let reduce.
- Add cream and mix thoroughly, bringing to a boil.
- Season with salt, pepper and mashed juniper berries.