One thing I love in autumn is chestnut eggs. In Estonia grows only chestnut – Aesculus, which eggs are not eatable.
When I was a child we had a competition at school. Who can collect more chestnut eggs and acorns for wild boars? Besides we needed chestnut eggs to make toys. Just some matches, awl and lot of chestnut eggs and acorns.
Why I am writing about this? Because of one more reason to love chestnut eggs. Chestnut egg brings to you good luck. Every year, each autumn I find some smooth and shiny chestnut egg and put it in my pocket.
I wish you the best and send to you good luck! 🙂
following this recipe, you can end it in the same way, as my mother in law, who is the recipe it is. Put the hot salad into the airtight clean jar and preserve (over winter) for quick dinner.
Serve with potatoes or rice or buckwheat. Or use this salad as a base of the soup: add some stock and potatoes.
How to remove additional salt are a lot of tips.
My South Estonian relatives told me that they boiling salted mushroom in milk. And after that mushroom look and taste like a fresh.
The second option is to boil mushroom just in the water.
And the simplest one. Put mushroom to soak the night before.
Fresh chanterelle: The mushrooms are cleaned without water, with only a clean, dry towel and paring knife. Heat the chanterelle in a skillet without fat/butter until water has evaporated.
Frozen mushroom : melt, fry slightly.
Hot Mushroom Salad. Soe seenesalat
- 3- 4 tomatoes
- 3-4 onions
- 3- 4 carrots
- 1 kg prepared mushrooms
- 150 ml of oil
- 0,5 tablespoon salt
- 0,5 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon vinegar ( 30%)
- Grate carrot, chop onions and tomatoes. Prepare mushroom
- Put oil in the pan. Add peeled and chopped onion and grated carrots. Heat slowly, add chopped tomatoes.
- Mix together. And stew in medium heat until the pieces are ready. Add mushrooms and season with salt and sugar.
- Add vinegar and do not boil anymore
- (put into the clean jar. Close airtight) or just eat. Serve with potatoes or rice, or add some stock and cook and serve as a soup.