Very simple and delicious dish. Sour Milk Scones are very easy to make and bake and it is a very good idea to ask children to help you.
This is an ancient recipe from South Estonia, Võrumaa. Sour Milk Flat Scones are Predecessor of pancakes and later scones. In the old days, they were baked in hot ash or on hot stone clay.
Sour Milk Flat Scones. Hapupiimakakud
A delicious and very easy to bake, light, ethnic South Estonian flat sour milk scones.
- 0,25-litre sour milk
- 250 g flour (combine wheat and buckwheat or use only barley flour)
- 1 tablespoon melted butter or oil – salt, (and caraway) seeds
- Mix together sour milk, salt and oil. Add flour gradually while stirring. The dough must be thick enough to roll scones
- Using a wet spoon take the dough and dip into flour and form the dough into round buns.
- Preheat oven
- Place buns on the greased or baking paper-lined oven plate and pat thin. Using a fork, torch holes in the cake with a fork. (Sprinkle cakes with seeds)
- Bake at 220 C for 10-13 minutes. Coat warm scones with the butter or honey and serve with cold milk