This cake has a very sweet story.
Estonian famous and popular presenter Priit Kuusk lost his mother a long time ago when he was the child. A few years ago he was a guest in one broadcast and reminded childhood. Told about his mother and wonderful apple cake his mother had baked. He did not know the recipe but remembered the aroma and flavour of this cake.
And after broadcast one listener wrote a letter and told that she knew Priit`s mother and she has an apple cake recipe.
This cake is eggless, very easy to do. Between crispy layers is juicy and tart apple filling.
One more remark: Estonian apples are not very sweet, we use sour apples. And Estonian apples are quite soft. We do not cook them before. If you use sweet apples, use less sugar. And if you like very soft apple filling, cook apples before using.
Eggless Apple Pie by Anne Kuusk. Kuuse Anne õunakook
A light eggless crispy apple pie.
- 200 g butter, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoon sugar (or more, depends on your apples)
- little bit salt
- 200 g sour cream
- 6-7 dl flour
- Mix all ingredients together. And place in a cool place
- Peel and clean apples and cut into wedges
- Share dough 2/3 and 1/3 parts. The bigger part of dough roll for pie bottom.
- Put dough between two baking paper and roll paper-thin. Press pie pastry, using paper into a 20 cm deep-dish pie pan.
- Pour apples into prepared pie pastry, add some sugar ( and cinnamon if needed). Leave ca 1 cm from edges empty. Cover filling by remaining dough and squeeze the edges of the stick.
- (Spread with coffee and sprinkle with sugar)
- bake at 175 C convection for 30-40 minutes.