Honey cake is known and famous in the many countries. Estonian honey cake is simple. Sweetness of honey is balanced with sour cream.
This time I did this cake in little bit different way. With vertical layers.
Trust me : It is much simpler to make than you might think. I won’t tell if you don’t 😉 It sounds and seems complicated and difficult, but in real it is simple. Read this recipe, understand what to do and this is very simple ! 🙂
Vertical Layer Honey Cake. Meekook
A sweet retro honey cake with twist: vertical layers.
- 75 g honey
- 100 g (brown ) sugar
- 2 eggs
- 125 g butter
- 1 teaspoon soda
- 450 g flour
- 2 tablespoon liqueur Vana Tallinn Cream :
- 200 g sugar
- 650 g sour cream
- (lemon for seasoning)
- Mix together sugar, honey and eggs
- Use ” water bath”. Bring water to boil and put the bowl with honey mixture in to the outer container. Put the butter into the pot and let it melt, Do not stir.
- When butter is melted, add soda, mix dough and let it cool.
- Add flour and liqueur and mix the dough.
- Use flour when rolling or roll between two baking paper. Roll the dough into 4 thin sheets. Bake at 180-200 C for 7-8 minutes. Cool layers down. And cut off the edges. Leave edges for decoration.
- Mix together sour cream and sugar, season. NB! Estonian sour cream is quite thick. Be careful with sugar because sugar is fluidity. Split the filling that you have, the same amount of filling for each layer. 7. Spread the filling in an even layer. Stack the next layer, and repeat the above steps. Continue the same way, spreading the same amount of filling for each layer until you have used all of the layers.
- Now is the most important to understand and decide. How high cake do you want. Cake high = stripe width. Use ruler for measuring and cut equal stripes. 9. Stack the stripes and spread cream between.
- using baking paper or cake shovel turn this stack 45 degrees.
- Decorate, using cream and cake crumbs.
- And let it set in a cool place until the following day or at least 1 hour.