Last year I wrote a lot of about Estonian Christmas customs. But New Year eve NÄÄRID is very important as well. During Soviet times (1945- 1987) Christmas was prohibited and was only New year eve.
Today we have two amazing holiday 🙂
New year eve was as was Christmas perfect time for predictions.
What is maybe interesting and different:
On 31 December there are special (humor) TV shows on all Estonian TV channels, causing a lot of discussion afterwards (Which program was better? Why? etc.).
One more tradition is, that The President of the Republic delivers a speech on radio and TV during the last minutes of the old year.
As probably everywhere New Year is greeted with fireworks and drinking sparkling wine. People wish a Happy New Year (Head uut aastat!) to each other. And it is a good sign when the first New Year wishes are said by a man with dark hair 🙂
People try to welcome the New Year outdoors, at least at midnight or after midnight people go out. There are fireworks in larger towns. When the clock strikes 12 at midnight, people gather around spruce trees that are in central squares.
One more prediction and custom to ensure good new year is – eat fish with scales. It means and ensure money for next year 🙂 🙂
So, I suggest to you a fish pie.
Simple Salmon Pie
A delicious fish pie for a dinner.
- 600-700 g fish fillet, without bones and skin
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1/2 cup white wine
- salt, pepper – chopped dill
- 400 g yeast-puff pastry. If frozen, melt it before using
- 1 beaten egg
NB! Even you dry fish fillet from marinade liquid, still bottom will little bit soggy. If you want dry bottom, make it as you prepare Kulebjaka: wrap fish in to the crepe.
- Mix together wine, pepper, salt, chopped dill and sliced garlic. Taste.
- Leave fish fillet in to the marinade at least for 1 hour
- roll dough and put half of the dough on to the baking paper lined oven form.
- Dry fish fillet and place on bottom, add garlic slices and dill. Cover fish with reminded dough and squeeze the edges stick
- Spread with whipped egg.Stab some holes with fork into the dough to release moisture
- Bake at 200 C for 20-25 minutes
Serve with marinated cucumber +sour cream + mayonnaise sauce.
Head vana aasta lõppu!
Simple Salmon Pie. Lõhepirukas