In Estonia School starts at 1st of September. This is the festive day. There are a lot of flowers for teachers. And Children wear formal clothing. And at the school take place festive ceremony, concert.
And then starts school… 9 long months until beginning of the June, when finally starts summer vacation.
The current Estonian educational system consists of pre-school education, basic education, general secondary education, vocational education and higher education. Basic education is the compulsory educational minimum which is provided by basic schools (grades 1-9). Children reaching the age of seven have to attend school.
For this festive and important day simple berry pie. Meadowsweet is sweet and taste like almond. It complement very well the acidity of wild blueberries.
Blueberry Crunch Pie
A juicy crunchy pie full of berries and with meadowsweet almond- taste
- Quark Shortcrust Pastry
- 200 g cold butter
- 200 g quark, look at recipe
- 300 g flour
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 100 g sugar
- 2 tablespoon flour
- 3 egg yolk
- 2 dl 35% cream
- 1 dl milk
- bunch of chopped meadowsweet flowers
– ca 200 ml berries. If using frozen berries, mix with starch
- Chop cold butter in to the small pieces, add quark, flour and salt and sugar. Mix together. Leave in cold place at least for 1 hour.
- For cream: mix together sugar, flour and egg yolks. Add cream and milk. Heat while mixture getting thicker.
- Put 2/3 of pastry in to the oven form. Bake for 20 minute at 200 C, while pastry is solid
- Pour on to the pastry cream and berries mixed with chopped flowers,
- Cut the rest of the dough in to the pieces and sprinkle over the cake.
- Bake for 20 minute, while pie is crusty and yellow-brown
- For grilling meadow-sweet. Mix together starch , flour and cold water. Heat the oil in a deep-fryer. Dip flowers in to the dough. Carefully place the flowers in the hot oil. Fry until browned. Remove and drain on paper towels before serving. Sprinkle over with icing sugar.
Yes. Fresh meadowsweet flowers are eatable, too :). And if you do not want/ like deep- frying, put flowers on top/ behind the cake and bake while crispy.
Join Fiesta Friday #187 by adding your link. Don’t forget to link your post to FiestaFriday.net and the co-hosts’ blogs, so we can feature you. Your cohosts this week are Judi @ cookingwithauntjuju.com and Sadhna @ Herbs, Spices and Tradition
Soundtrack Genialistid “Leekiv armastus”